Monday, March 3, 2008

Envelope Pillow


I had some scraps left over from my first Gum Drop pillow (since I fussy-cut the flower), and I thought I should put it to good use. So, what better than a matching throw pillow?
Luckily, just the project popped out of my Sew Everything Workshop book and I had just enough scraps to make the Envelope Pillow.

There was no pattern to this project, so I just used my handy-dandy rotary cutting mat and tool to cut out the shapes. It seemed simple enough. All I needed was a 12.5x16.5 piece (A) and 2 12.5x11.25 pieces (B&C). My ruler and cutting mat helped to make my measuring a breeze. So, I measure and cut! When I re-measured my "A" piece, it was perfect, then I re-measured B & C to find that I cut them at 12.5x10!! OOOPS!

Well, I am stressing out now! I had my heart set on putting these scraps to good use with a matching throw pillow! So, I consult the directions with mom and she points out how much "extra" material there was for over-lap on the back of the envelope pillow. She says not to worry, I just wont have as much overlap as the directions would require. And she showed me how to improvise!

I couldn't believe it! I could save my pillow! In a cinch, I had my envelope pillow made...and boy does it look cute on the couch with my lovely Gum Drop ottoman at the foot!

No comments: