Friday, February 29, 2008

The Gum Drop Pillow


After the headache of the class at the large chain fabric store, I decided to explore my options and see where else I might be able to take a class. I found this quaint little shop called the Olde Green Cupboard. The front of the store is antiques and such, plus it has fabric and a HUGE classroom in the back for classes and socials. They have a very busy calendar between classes and socials, projects and quilting!

So we sign up for the Gum Drop Pillow class. But, we haven't seen the pattern, and we choose our fabric really having no idea what we are doing. The class material's list did tell us that we could use 2 1/4 yards or 1 1/8 of coordinating fabric. Plus, we needed a 10x10 square accent.

My mom taught me how to "fussy cut" when I decided that I liked a floral pattern and I wanted to choose a flower as my accent piece.

The class was only one 3-hour class. There were 2 other students in the class and when we arrived the teacher immediately help us get set up and started. We saw the pattern for the first time and I was upset that I had all the same material. Mine didn't seem too interesting before we got started. The teacher, Lisa, helped me to cut my material so that it looks like coordinating pieces since the stripes were so wide.

The class was great and I felt so confident when I left. It was a much better beginners class, as it required a lot of repetition. And, the teacher even stayed longer than the class to help us finish! We added the fiber-fill stuffing at home and and whip stitched the opening and then project 2 was finished!

I am super-proud of this one and it was such a good experience. I feel much more adequate than I did with my first class. My pillow is the one on the left with the big flower in the center and the other is mom's. YAY for Gumdrop pillows!

No comments: